Sunday 9 November 2008

6 November 2008 Thursday – Splish, splosh

It has rained all night and continues to rain until midday. I sort out 15 packets of photographic slides that were in my metal camera case. These range from 1996 to 1995.
I figure out how to scan them in with my scanner and begin the long, slow process.
At around 3pm I put on my walking boots and anorak (are rain coats still called anoraks?) and head into town to buy a couple of birthday cards from the English shop.
It is spitting with rain as I set off and when I come to the first bridge over the riber, I take some photos and video of the water, the level of which is much higher than it has been since I was here in June this year.
Here is what it looked like a few weeks ago.














And here is the situation now.













We are lucky as many parts of France have been flooded. The television shows cows swimming, houses flooded, cars and businesses under water.
I reach the English shop “Simply British” and although the lights are on, there is no one at home.
There is however a sign on the door stating that the owner is a short distance up the road at her friends’ restaurant and to come and get her if you want something from the shop.
I wander around a bit and return to the shop. It is still locked so I go up the road to the restaurant and find the owner.
We walk back to the shop and there is a lady and child waiting at the door.
The lady is served and I start looking through two of the baskets of cards.
It turns out that the owner was just about to have lunch with her friends, so I carry the two baskets of cards up to the small restaurant and sit at a table choosing my cards, while she has her lunch and a coffee.
I don’t have the right money, so I write one of my cards while I am waiting, then once she is finished, we head back to the shop.
On my way back home I post the card and I get home before the rain starts falling once again.
Daveed’s father’s car has appeared in the parking area again, and the white van which was there all day has disappeared.
It would be interesting to find out what is going on. Will the car still be there tomorrow?
I resume scanning in slides and by the time I go to bed I am just over half way through. Tomorrow I hope to finish the scanning, then there will be the filing, naming, tagging……

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send me your comments or suggestions