Friday 11 May 2012

Air on a C string

I have been struggling to learn the electric guitar since last August. I have bought books, computer tutorials, DVD's. Apparently this is not enough. Something called "hours of practice" is required, and not just any old practice. Targeted practice.
The only other thing that I haven't tried, and which is strongly recommended, is taking lessons from a professional teacher.
Searching the Internet, I have found a man who lives on the outskirts of town. His web site is complete crap, inaccurate and not up to date. However, he has been a professional musician for over 30 years, so web sites are not his main area of expertise. He can teach many different styles of guitar, types of guitar, and also the drums. For the drums, you have to have your own set, and he will come to you for the lesson. There are lots of photos of him teaching children, but he is willing to teach octogenarians.
What he doesn't say, is how much lessons cost. This always pisses me off. If you are selling a product or service, the customer wants to know how much they will have to pay.
So I continue to procrastinate. The other thing that pisses me off, is that they use the French equivalent of Doh, re, mi etc to name the notes / chords. instead of the sensible C, E, F, G, A, B, C etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X08U4JlUtgo&feature=topics

 It is hard enough learning the chord / note names / shapes in English, without having yet another barrier placed in the way. The first lesson is free and lessons will be structured to the needs of the individual student.
Did I mention that 2 weeks ago I bought a Lanikai L21 soprano ukulele from a supplier in Germany?
The You tube prophets say that they are, and I quote one Youtube teacher here "piss easy" to play, having only 4 strings, and, in my case 12 frets instead of the 6 strings and 21 frets on my guitar.
I am trying to learn "king of the road" after struggling with "twinkle, twinkle little star" , "frere jaques" in the free booklet that came with the ukulele.
Us experts refer to them as "Ukes". I thought that this was going to be my musical grail...... I am having problems with my C string, it is in tune, but it just doesn't sound right. I doesn't ringgggg.
There is no Uke club in my departement and no listed Uke teacher. Perhaps I could start a club by leaning on the lamp post and the corner of the street ....  It might look good on my CV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to send me your comments or suggestions